Sunday, July 27, 2008

2 Amy's d.o.c Spells Delicious

I finally made it to the District's foremost pizza joint: 2 Amy's.

For months since moving here 2 Amy's has been the place to go. "Oh it's good. Yeah, you've got to go sometime. Well be careful the wait can be exorbitantly long, but ya gotta go." They were right.

After the Jazz in the Garden on Friday, we headed over to the Cleveland Park spot for a nice snack and glass of wine. A simple glass door opened into a lively dining room packed with families and friends chatting about the week and enjoying the authentic Neapolitan pizza over natural wooden tables sitting atop of the black and white tile floor. Even at 10 pm there was a wait, an excited atmosphere, and a wooden-burning oven cooking as pizza at full capacity. A few minutes and we luckily snagged a table at the wine bar.

I order the Margherita pizze d.o.c. with mushrooms. D.o.c. stands for Denominazione di Origine Controllata; it essentially means certified by the Italian government as authentic - pizze d.o.c. uses only soft grain flour, fresh yeast, water, and sea salt for the dough (2 Amy's does a good write-up of what d.o.c. is.). But the bottom line is that 2 Amy's makes an excellent pizza - certified or not.

My pizza came out quickly. After it was situated infront of me, my eyes immediately sized up the pie - the center was genourously portioned with fresh mozzarella di bufala and basil and the crust was warm and raised along the edges. I started out eating the pizza with a knife and fork; however, after my first bite of the cripsy crust gave way to the warm dough hidden inside, I put down my silverware and just went for it. It was too good to wait around for all this cutting and preparing, it was there on the table, ready to be enjoyed!

I've been told that there's a lot more to be enjoyed there like the mussels, charcuterie, homemade ice cream, and a good wine list. Looks like I'll have to go back; the hard part will be ordering a different pizza.

No comments: