Thursday, January 29, 2009

Twitter and Breaking News Search

TweetNews:

This is an old hat by now in the blogosphere, but using Yahoo! BOSS and Twitter an yahoo engineer was able to make an excellent breaking news search engine. The tweets on Twitter measure freshness and the Yahoo! BOSS leverages the relevant search results and articles, so what you get are articles about what people are talking about now. On his blog you can download the source and play around with it. Or try it out at TweetNews.

Google News RSS:

I spent sometime fiddling with GoogleNews to put together a decent search about bicycles. Then I was able to grab a RSS feed for the search (click the RSS link on the left side of the screen). Now get updates on bicycle news from across the country in my google reader. One disappointment was that I wasn't able to make it prioritize certain sites like WashCycle or Streetsblog, but maybe I should make a Yahoo! BOSS mashup for that.

No comments: