Friday, July 20, 2007

Finding an Apartment (part 2)

Second stop: Woodley Park 5:00 PM
Constantly frustrated and my shirts sticking to me from sweat, we cut a path down Connecticut Ave crossing into Woodley Park: more of the same.Standing on the corner of Conn. Ave and the bridge, we asked do I want to live here...maybe let's check one more place - just one more. It was a half ass effort. We choose the first building off the corner. Just happy to be in an air-conditioned building we were willing to stand in line for the leasing agent. There were three parties there: one woman, one student, and us. The woman said she would keep looking but she might be back. The student, my father, and I went up to see room 509. Just poking my head in the door, I knew it was a good fit. Good neighborhood, good place. I had to snatch it up. After heading up to the roof top deck to see some of the amenities, we traveled down to see the lease. It was already being signed by the student. Crap. They had a place available for August 4th or 5th. Too late. We decided to ponder it over ice cream - ice cream is always a good idea. Over ice cream on a 95 degree day, we choose to take it. I'm not in DC for a while anyways (training in Dallas), so save the rent. We crossed the street (yes ice cream is across the street) and went to sign the lease. There was one person seeing the apartment we wanted, and another waiting to see it. Then one woman came back in, and wanted to sign the lease. This was it I thought - game over - but she made the mistake of saying that she was going to see other places before deciding. I would call that getting out of line, as did the leasing agent. Point and apartment for Charles. It's not huge, but DC is hella expensive; my budget was already blown. The metro is 30ft out my back door, and there's a door from the Metro Center stop into my building: commute time ~10 minutes. Here's the floor plan (it's listed as 525 sqft):

2 comments:

Tariq said...

Looks like you found a pretty nice place. And it has windows. :-)

Wayland said...

yeah man, apartment hunting blows