Monday, August 20, 2007

The Wall

Wow, well this blog hit the wall when I started working. On the flight home from Dallas I started a post. It died shortly after I got off the plane. There's no internet during flights; there are only small seats and no snacks - unless you fly Midwest then you get their signature cookie service. I swear they bake those cookies in-flight.

The English language and I are engaged in a constant struggle. It throws new words and phrases at me everyday, and my mind lets them dissolve into a gray abyss. It's time to fight back. Someway some how. Maybe I'll read with a dictionary at hand - my strongest tool.

I should get back to paying attention during training, but I'm going to post this now incomplete before I decide against it.

Here's what I wrote in-flight on August 10, and never posted:

"There’s something exhausting about sitting down all day. I feel that it’s fitting to start my first weekend since I started my 9 to 5 on a plane. Well, calling it a 9 – 5 is an ineffective way of describing it. It’s more of an 8 am to 10 pm (half day Saturday). The wheezing air conditioner above my head blends well with the white noise of the aircraft, and the Dallas concrete expanse drifts away from my sight. These seats are small. I am not small. Therefore, I do not fit in this seat. I would call this argument reasonable, but not logical. There’s no concept of scale in the argument.

For the majority of last week, people talked at me, but not just me – rather a room full of 250 analysts. With two 20 foot projector screens behind at their backs, a lavalier mic, and a clicker in their hands they talked. And talked. I felt that I was in an infomercial for a pyramid scheme – a painful one.

I have this strange habit of blogging in flight. I thought about making it a concept blog. How about write as much about the person next to you until they speak up? Well that would only be amusing to me, since the reader wouldn’t have the same perspective. There has to be something I could do to amuse both you and me."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

they do bake the cookies in-flight