Friday, September 11, 2009

Why I Ride Part II - My Cycle and Me

I love bicycles. I love my bicycle. Bicycling is a simple joy.

I spend most of my time thinking about bicycles - my bicycle, my steel horse. I have trouble articulating it, but it brings back the glee of my first sweet ride: the white and blue huffy single speed with coaster brakes. Bicycling brings back the feeling of throwing a towel over my shoulder and peddling to the pool on a hot summer day, using my coaster brake to skid down my driveway during an alleged high speed chase, or jockeying with friends on the street as we explored Glen Ellyn in June.

I still cherish the freedom my bicycle provides. I find the entire city is at my disposal.

Early last year, I started biking to work. Bicycling to work isn't for everyone, but it is right for me. I cycle commute because:

It's the fastest way to commute. Traffic on a bicycle isn't bumper to bumper because of construction on the 14th St Bridge; it's the occasional street cleaner or double parked car. I blow past the smog machines on 16th St. And I can park anywhere for free.

It's the most enjoyable way commute. Being outside, experiencing the neighborhoods, engaging the street allows me to feel the pulse of the city. You can't do that when you're trapped behind a windshield hearing the Eastern Motors radio spot on repeat.

It's the cheapest way to commute. I could purchase several trips to Argentina and back with the money I saved on car payments, insurance, gas, parking, and maintenance.

It's the healthiest way to commute. I lost 30 lbs. I got in better shape bicycling to work than I did training for the Cherry Blossom 10-miler.

If I can't ride to work in the future, I'm not sure what I'd do. When I tell co-workers biking to work is a priority, they dismiss me saying "Just buy a beater." It's not about the money, driving, or the Metro. It's about riding. I love to ride.

Bicycling to work everyday changed my life. It gave me freedom, an identity, a hobby, and a passion.

No comments: