Tuesday, December 04, 2007

The Year 2000

Until I dated my rent check December 4, 2007, I had completely overlooked the fact that it was December 2007. There were small clues lurking in the background these past four day; the morning I realized that I had forgotten to say "rabbit rabbit" or the light flurries that dusted the ground on my trek to work, but it sunk today: this is December. For me the year 2007 happened in the future, and I watched the milestones stampede past me - graduate, get a job or go to school, find some health care, move to a new place, pay loans, give up a car, learn how to cook. After some turbulence, things fell in place; I ended building a place to live out of duplo and lego - a bit of a mismatch but with a touch of finesse all the pieces fit. Now here I am in DC 6 months removed from graduation, 4 months removed from Chicago, and closing in on 2008. It's a year I've never thought about; probably because I was never really sure if it was possible. Here it comes, and I won't be surprised if I feel the same way in one year.

Here's a picture of my neighborhood.

No comments: