Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Brasserie Beck

Early in the evening Monday, after disastrous service at M&S Grill, my friends and I switched locations. We fought the 98 degree heat and made our way through the sun and humidity a few blocks to Brasserie Beck, a French restaurant on K St.

Situated in a modern office building with a simmering glass facade, Beck's large double doors opened up into an expansive restaurant. With high ceilings and an art deco decor, I wondered if I walked into a Parisian train station to grab a quick lunch before my 12:47 to Brussels. The marble-and-walnut bar was lined with colorful and rare taps from Belgium and the space was filled with chatty young professionals enjoying the beer. Any place meant to enjoy beer finds a special place in my heart.

We grabbed a table outside to enjoy the evening as the sun went down and it began to cool. The first thing handed to the table was a beer menu. Listed out by style I carefully perused the menu and descriptions of the eclectic spigots from the bar like I was looking for the right bottle to go with dinner. Half liters of Hoegaarden were the special. Size and price won out; I order a Hoegaarden. Next time I'll be more adventurous but for the warm evening on the patio, a wit beer hit the spot.

Brasserie Beck is worth the trip.

In related news, InBev, has offered 46 Billion dollars to buy Budweisser, which would make it the largest beer company in the world.

No comments: