Thursday, June 12, 2008

iPhone 2.0: A Step Back

Despite adding a GPS feature to the iPhone, the new pricing model is pointing the iPhone in the wrong direction.

With the iPhone 2.0 coming out July 11th, it is assuming a more traditional pricing model for cell phones in the United States: carriers like AT&T subsidize the cost of the phone inexchange the customer must signup for a long term contract. Apple gets a fair price for the phone, AT&T gets a two year contract, and the subscriber pays less for the phone. Everyone wins, as long as the subscriber doesn't cancel, right?

For moblie enthusiasts looking for the phone to become the next personal computer this is step in the wrong direction towards an open network. Phones are once again tied to contracts. I wouldn't want Comcast to subsidize my laptop if I agree to have the supply internet for two years.

Until I stop associating my phone with a two year span, it will never become my device that I take care, never travel without, message, text, search, surf the web, and find revenue for all of those internet startups. The mobile phone will never be personal until I can take it with me for network to network just like me number. I'll never give up my "630".

Maybe Android will be the kicker, as Google tries to secure its place in the moblie (advertisement) market.

No comments: