Monday, June 23, 2008

Reflections after a Year

Lure of Big Paycheck Tugs at Graduates

After coming home from work at 10:30 PM tonight, this article resonated with me. It discusses graduates of elite colleges taking the position at a consulting firm or hedge fund as the safe option. A year ago when I accepted my offer with a consulting firm, I saw it as an opportunity to gain experience in software development. I've certainly done that, but I can't help feeling constrained, stressed, and a little directionless at times. Mostly it's because I get stuck in the details after long hours in the Dev Room.

At times, I struggled at Lawrence too, and in the end, it was the best decision I ever made. I was able to grow in any direction I pleased from putting together a radio show to solving abstract math problems. It just took time to figure it out.

I'm passionate about public transportation, fascinated by digital media, love writing, and growing an interest in usability. One day I'll figure out a way to put those together, until then I'll keep looking for places to grow where I am, and as long as those are present I'll make it through the week.

I graduated last June, it has taken a while to remember that a year is not a long time.

No comments: