Wednesday, July 08, 2009

My Kindle

I've written before on this blog about the Kindle; now, I can write about my own Kindle. It came on Tuesday; so, I've had a few days with it.

First impressions:

The e-ink screen delivers a great and easy reading experience - outside in the sun or inside. It's small, but doesn't feel fragile.

Although elegant, I enjoy reading with it in the case; the case gives it a little more bulk.

I downloaded a couple book samples, about the first 20 pages; when I found a book I didn't want to stop reading, I was able to purchase the book. Reading a sample in the comfort of your own home is better than squatting on any available stool at the bookstore and living it constant fear of a snarky employee who might inform you that "the book you're reading is for sale."

Another great feature is the dictionary. If you don't know a word, simply put your cursor next to it and it shows a short 2 line definition at the bottom of the page. I'm surprised how often I use this feature.

I'm bad with book marks, and the Kindle saves my spot which is great.

Looking for a passage or random thought, you can search through all your notes and books.

Overall, if you travel often, like to read, or read several things at once the Kindle is a great product. You might miss books for a while, but you won't when you move and all you have to do is put your Kindle in your back backpack like usual.

Amazon is making a good move by engineering a great e-book reader and keeping people used to buying books.

No comments: