Monday, July 06, 2009

Why I Ride

After some time in Maryland and DC on my steel horse, I passed by Revolution Cycles in Georgetown. I've been to Revolutions twice to pick up accessories; they're courteous helpful and an overall great bike shop; so, I tend to give a nod when I pass. Pinned up in the front window was a notice announcing the arrival of the new electronic shifting system from Shimano.

So now, bicycles may have electronic parts. Not trying to sound like Ray Bradbury here, but that's not cool with me. One of my favorite things bicycles is that they're powered, propelled, fueled by me. It's me, wheels, levers, pulleys, and cranks: a combination of simple machines.

Am I old? No. I just enjoy the elegant simplicity bicycles offer. On a day to day basis I'm hauled up gazing at a computer screen; it's nice to lose that attachment to electronics for a while.

No comments: