Sunday, May 18, 2008

Coffee Houses in DC

Since I've moved to DC, I've tried and tried to find a coffee house, and the struggle continues; as of now, I've only found coffee shops and cafes. 


Washington's culture lends itself better to happy hours with colleagues or after dinner drinks with power players at old presidential haunts. Downtown coffee shops exist during the day to serve fresh coffee, and close up shop around 3 pm slightly before the commuters make their mass exit to the suburbs. Residentially, Busboys and Poets or Kramerbooks & Afterwords , in U St and DuPont respectively, require food purchases and the packed tables encourage quick eats/drinks with a fast turnover. Sidamo, in the Atlas District, seems promising, but their limited hours and distant location restrict it to a weekend trip, so I haven't quite made it yet.

I've had several friends inquire as to what I consider a coffee house. I've struggle a bit when I've talked about it. I watch the confusion grow on their faces as I stumble through a bumbling definition, "It's almost a communal living room. You can go and sit. No pressure; won't be bothered. Quiet, read, know people, blog." Nothing seems to get across. I've taken moment to think about it, and here's my best shot.

A coffee house is a place you can go by yourself (or small group) for hours at a time to relax and enjoy a quiet activity over coffee or tea, and you'll never surprised to run into somebody you know.

This weekend you might run into me at Brewed Awakenings in Appleton.

If you have any suggestions of where to go or an alternate definition, please comment below. 

No comments: