Saturday, May 31, 2008

We Stand on the Right

In Washington, DC opinions run deep and irrational when it comes to the Metrorail system.


"Public transit? Try unreliable commuter rail."
"Waste of time. I'd rather just call a cab."

After living here for just under a year and cramming myself onto the redline at 8 am five days a week, I've learned many quirks the Metro. The sounds and announcements play on repeat in my head, I politely inform escalefters that "we stand on the right in DC," I can name most Metro sniglets, and for the stops I frequent I've scientifically - through a rigorous guess and check - determined where to stand in order to exit the train by the escalators and transfer points.

I thrive on the public transit, besides my bicycle it's my only transit. It has taken some work, but I've gotten around the broken escalators, the sporadic weekend construction, and my impulse to cab and found a routine:

After a subdued "Good morning" to the Express distributor, I grab hold of the escalator and my dress shoes scamper a top the metal as I advance past the tourists, commuters, and suitcases. Near the bottom, when the stairs begin to collapse upon one another, my head darts down just enough to catch the earliest glimpse of the illuminated sign displaying the elevator outages and next train information.

"Two minutes, got to hustle."

My SmartTrip card buried within my wallet glides over the sensor, and the gate's wings open up allowing me to slip through into honeycomb corridor. The yellow bubble lights blink and the train rolls into the station. The Metro opens its doors, and I diligently scuttle my way into car - last door on the second to last car. Stop Metro center. Exit 13th and G St NW.

Door to door takes roughly 15 minutes; with the warm weather coming, my trip length may increase when I walk slower to avoid sweating. But I wouldn't want to commute any other way.

How do you get to work?

No comments: