Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Mornings and Jobs

I was in a foul mood this morning. Everything was on par with normal: I woke up, didn't talk to anyone, had coffee, watched Sportscenter, avoided eye contact with the custodian, and showered. Showers normally wash away my frustration, but not today; the warm water seemed to pierce and chip away at my skin, maybe the water was extra hard today. I spent the rest of today at WLFM. On Monday I sent my resume to a Lawrence alum; today I got a follow up interview from a college recruiter for his company. Good sign - I think. I replied right away. The position is in Washington DC. I don't know how I feel about DC. It has a high crime rate, and feels segregated. Anyways, those were my impressions after I visited in 7th grade.

A job is a job, and I need something that will get me started. I continue to find articles predicting that the job market is strong for entry level positions. This is contrary to how most Lawrence seniors feel right now. For the most part companies direct us to their website where we submit our gleaming resumes into a black hole of a database. The first time I submitted a resume online, I felt like I had accomplished something. I took up the process in an excited frenzy. I spent spring break scanning hundreds of jobs, soaking in each line of the descriptions and requirements. Finally a match. I scurried to hit apply. Page after page, I filled in personal info, professional info, miscellaneous info, info on info, until I was at page 172 of 172 where I was instructed to review my application before officially submitting it. I meticulously overlooked each part of my application, triple checked my resume, and stared at the submit button for an eternity. Then, in an exhilarating instant, I clicked it - the page reloaded, only to leave me with a long winded thanks. Then silence. Nothing. No email, no gmail. Nothing. No yes, no No. For several days I waited, but the only response I received was that long winded thanks. It was after that I decided that applying online was not how anyone got a job; I was only going to get a job by banging on doors, asking alumni to give me a job, applying to any career center job, talking to family friends, and then repeat. Repeat. Repeat. The best part of being an undergrad are the options, you can be any major and do anything; however, upon graduation you have three options: Repeat, starve, or live at home. I guess I 'll continue to Repeat - banging on doors until someone lets me in.

No comments: